Sunday, March 12, 2017

It's Been A Long Time

I just realized that I have not blogged since Thanksgiving!  There have been several times that I have started but never finished.  Life has taken some crazy, painful turns and even though writing is my outlet, I have not been able to write.  Today I will catch up on the normal everyday things that have been going on with us.

To start, Michael had his birthday on the 24th of November.  It was Thanksgiving Day so we celebrated with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and fried pies!  Thanksgiving night we were able to go to Sioux Falls and visit friends for the evening and share our fried pies with them.  Good friends are sometimes hard to find and we have been blessed by Troy and his family.

After Thanksgiving we went full steam into basketball season!  All six kids started the season.  Only five ended the season.  Makenna had to have knee surgery on the 14th of December. 

She did get a few games in before and the coaches let her keep hanging out with the team afterwards.  She is hoping to have her knee ready to go for cross country this fall.

Everyone had a fun season of basketball.  I coached Olivia's team again this year and we ended the season with our first win!  Way to go girls!!
 
Zeke's team had their last tournament next week.  His team took first in a tournament a few weeks ago.  They were really excited!  A year or two ago they were lucky to win a game, now they are winning tournaments!

Dillon is still going for another few weeks.  They love to play ball - any type of ball!  Yesterday they played in an 8th grade tournament as 7th graders.  Last year they took last in that tournament.  This year they took 2nd.  It is fun to watch them!


Zane finished his season yesterday.  They also played in a tournament yesterday and won two out of their three games.  His team has really improved over the years. 

Makenna only had a couple of games but it was fun to see her and Maddi out there on the court at the same time.  She'll be back next year ready to go!

Maddi played the whole season and had a very successful one.  I loved watching her play and cheering her on.
 In the middle of basketball season came Christmas.  Christmas was quiet and it was nice to have time at home.  Christmas Day we had the missionaries over for dinner.  There was an ice storm that day and we ended up losing power before we could finish cooking supper.  We ate by candlelight and had ham that Michael had smoked, biscuits and raw carrots.  I felt bad for the missionaries but there wasn't much I could do about it!

 


Right after Christmas, we celebrated Zeke's 11th birthday!  I sure love this crazy boy with his rockin' mullet!  He keeps me smiling!

January and February were filled with basketball, singing, church and everything else in between!  Makenna was able to sing the National Anthem at some of our home games and also sang it at the Boys District Finals and the Girls Region games in Madison.  She will sing it next week in Sioux Falls at the Boys State A Basketball games.  She was also in All State Chorus and Festival of Women's Voices. 

Olivia auditioned for the elementary festival of young voices and I got to go listen to her perform earlier this week.  It was her first experience with something like this and she had a fun time.

 
 
In January, I lost one of my most favorite people in the whole world.  Grandma- Great left this earth on her 89th birthday.  For the first time in 15 years she got to spend it with Grandpa Chris.  It was the best birthday present she could have received.  She was such an amazing person.  I loved her more than I can say.  I have missed her so much this last month.  What I would give to hear her voice and be able to talk to her just one more time.  We were able to fly out to Idaho for her funeral.  The kids all got to fly for the first time (at least that they can remember.  All of them by Zane had flown when they were babies).  It was good to see family and to be there to celebrate Grandma. 
 
 



 
Tomorrow track season officially starts.  Zane and Dillon will be my only ones running this year so the season won't be as busy for us.  The elementary school starts their C25K program tomorrow so I will be working with the 4th-6th graders to get them ready for their 5k in May.  We know it's track season because we are getting a snow storm today.  Track season always seems to bring the crazy spring weather with it!
 
I know I missed things and hopefully I will do better at keeping up with writing now.  


 

No comments: