Friday, August 12, 2016

A Nerf Gun, A Blanket and A Broom

Yesterday morning I was quietly sitting in my chair checking my emails when all of a sudden something came flying at my head!  I screamed, dumped my computer on the floor and jumped up.  It was a bat!  It came flying past my head again!  I ran into the kitchen, it followed.  I ran back into the living room, it followed.  I ran to the stairs, it followed.  The whole time I was yelling to the kids upstairs that there was a bat in the house.  When I got to the stairs, the bat flew upstairs and I ran out the door, calling to all the kids upstairs that the bat was now up there.  Makenna refused to leave her room.  Maddi refused to leave the bathroom.  I called Zane (my fearless mouse hunter) and told him to get a broom and find where the bat had gone to ☺  I was still outside, refusing to go in.  He found the bat on the wall upstairs between Makenna's and Olivia's rooms.  I didn't know what to do now! 

I decided that we would try to get the bat into Olivia's room and out the windows.  Zane and Olivia went into her bedroom to get the screens off the windows.  I made Maddi come out of the bathroom.  Makenna still refused to leave her bedroom.  Dillon and Zeke were at work with Michael so we were short in numbers.  I got some crutches and they got a big blanket off Dillon's bed.  Once the screens were off, I had Olivia go outside.  I told her to watch the windows because we were going to try to get the bat to fly back outside. 

Maddi and I hung the blanket over the crutch tips and held it up to the ceiling blocking off the stairway and the hall.  The only place the bat could go was into Olivia's room.  I didn't want Zane to get too close to the bat so I had him get his Nerf gun and kneel down by the blanket and try to shoot the Nerf bullets close to the bat to make it fly.  Then he could use the broom to shoo it into the bedroom and shut the door. 

Well, it didn't work the first 2 shots so he had to go find more bullets.  About the 6th shot the bat finally started flying around.  It took another minute or two (in other words, forever!) before the bat went into Olivia's room and he was able to shut the door.  Once the door was shut, I went outside to see if Olivia had seen the bat fly out the window.  She, however, had gotten scared that maybe it would fly at her head when it came out so she had gone around the side of the house and couldn't really see her windows... 

I tried to look in them from down below to see if it was flying around but I couldn't see anything.  Zane snuck into her bedroom to see if he could see it.  He claimed he saw it in her closet hanging from a plastic bag that she had on her shelf.  He said there were too many things on the floor to close the doors though.  I told Olivia, since she had failed at her post, to go with Zane (I really owe him something big!), move the things out of the way and close the door so we could trap it in the closet.  I didn't want to leave the screens off the windows for too long because I didn't want other flying creatures in there too!

They did it and then we left it until Michael got home from work.  He's so lucky that we save fun things for him!  When Michael got home, he went up into her bedroom and could not find the bat!  Zane and Olivia went up and helped.  They pulled everything out of the closet one by one, checked the ceilings, the shelves, the doors, behind the dresser mirror and headboard, everywhere and there was no sign of the bat.  As they walked out, Zeke made the comment, "Have fun sleeping in here tonight!"

Guess who didn't sleep in there last night?  Olivia.  She refused. I don't blame her.  I wouldn't have either.  So, we have no idea where the bat went, if Zane really saw it in the closet or if it flew out the window while Olivia was not looking.  Where ever it is, it's not in her room.  This morning, I made sure the kids came downstairs before me, just in case there was another one flying around - that way I could make my getaway back to my bedroom while they ran around screaming with a bat flying past their heads ☺  I'm a good mom.  I want my kids to be able to experience all the things in life that I was/am able to experience.  It builds character, shapes them into well-rounded human beings, and gives them good stories to talk about when school starts again!

We were lucky this morning.  No flying creatures, no heart attacks, no screaming and no need to pull out the big guns again to protect ourselves.  However, I am keeping my bedroom door shut, just in case...

No comments: