Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Broken and Healed

Over a year ago I made clay hearts with the kids.  The idea was for them to do something kind for some one and leave a heart or if they saw someone having a hard day or just wanted them to know they were being thought of, leave them a heart.  I would often find a heart left on my pillow with a note when I went to bed at night or one slid under my bedroom door when I woke up in the morning.  Over the last year and a few months, some of the hearts have gotten broken.  They were stepped on or got something set on them or got dropped.
This morning as I was closing the windows in my bedroom I saw these broken hearts and began to think about all that has happened over the last year or so to me, my family and those around me.  How many hearts have been broken!  How much hurt has been felt!  Friends and family have been lost, cancer has been discovered, other illnesses and injuries occurred, jobs lost, belongings burned, favorite pets lost, relationships ended, so many things...  I think everyone I know has felt pain and hurt on some level.  Everyone has had their heart broken to some degree.  This last year has just seemed really tough.

As I looked at the pieces of these pretty clay hearts that my children made, my heart ached again for the suffering that I have seen around me and for the things I experienced first hand. 

Then I began to try to put the pieces back together.  As I did this, I thought about all the good that has happened during the storms.  I thought about how everyone banded together to lift those suffering up.  I thought of all the prayers that were said, scriptures that were quoted, hugs that were given and tears that were shed - all in the name of love.

I thought of the Savior and His atoning sacrifice.  I thought of His pure love.  I thought of how He, as we stumble through this life, at times falling down unable to move forward from the burdens we feel, reaches out His hand and lifts us up and helps us see the light.  He can put our pieces back together.  He can take our broken hearts and heal them.  He can take our pain and give us peace.  In 3rd Nephi (a book in the Book of Mormon) chapter 17 verse 7 He says, "Have ye any that are sick among you?  Bring them hither.  Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner?  Bring them hither and I will heal them."  In Psalms 147:3 it says, "He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Isaiah 53:5 says, "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." The New Testament is filled with examples of Jesus healing the people - the lame could walk, the blind could see.  Matthew 14:35-36, "And when the men of that place had knowledge of him, they sent out into all that country round about, and brought unto him all that were diseased; And besought him that they might only touch the hem of his garment: and as many as touched were made perfectly whole."

Jesus Christ will heal us.  If we come to Him in humility and faith, He will heal us.  He will make us whole.  We will still have our trials and heartache, but He will provide the healing we need - from something as small as a really bad day to something as big as losing a child - He will heal us.

I am so thankful for the Savior.  As I looked at my broken hearts and thought of all that has happened in the last year, I am so thankful to be able to know and see His hand in all of it.  I am so thankful to have felt His healing presence.  I am so thankful that my wounded heart was mended and made whole again through His pierced hands.  Christ lives.  He loves us.  He is aware of us and through Him we will be able to return, whole and unbroken, to our Father in Heaven!



No comments: