Sunday, June 26, 2016

Born Again and Remembering

The last few weeks in Sunday School we have been talking about being born again and remembering.  Our teacher asked us all to think about that moment in our lives when we were "born again."  When we finally knew that Jesus Christ was our Savior.  When we finally knew the gospel was true.  When our testimony was finally our own and not some one else's.  Then he asked us to write it down and remember it.  Remember the feelings we had, the goals we set, the determination we had to do good for the rest of our lives.  Then he asked us to share it with those we love.

As I thought about it, I couldn't come up with a single moment when I all of a sudden knew.  I guess I have always known.  I don't remember not knowing.  I was born and raised a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I have been taught about Jesus my whole life.  From the time I went to nursery as an 18 month old baby to present time, I have had Sunday school teachers teaching me about Jesus and His gospel.  My parents always read the scriptures to us daily.  We have family prayer morning and night.  Every week we had family home evening where we would sing songs and have lessons about the gospel.  I read the scriptures on my own daily and had my own personal prayers morning and night.  I just always knew. 

I don't ever remember questioning the gospel.  There were times when I didn't always do what I should, times when I went against the teachings that I knew to be true, but I never doubted - I just chose unwisely. 

When I was 21, I served a mission for our church in Ireland.  We were taught to bear our testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ and of the message that we shared to everyone we met.  We listened to the people, we invited them to learn about the Savior and then we bore our testimony.  Every time, every single time, I bore my testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ, mine was strengthened.  Every time I did that, I knew again, in my heart, of the truthfulness of the gospel and of the love that the Savior has for me and for all of us.  Those experiences reinforced what I already knew and strengthened me.

Why remember?  Why hold these things close to our heart?  Remembering strengthens us.  Remembering brings it back into our heart, strengthens our resolve, increases our faith and opens our eyes to how much the Lord is involved in our lives.  Remembering allows us to see His hand guiding us through our daily lives.  I know there have been so many times in my life when I have been able to remember and draw strength to press forward through whatever was ahead of me.  It gave me faith to take one more step into the darkness because I knew that He had been there in the past to light my way and He would do it again.  Remembering gave me the hope that when I reached out my hand, He would be there to grab it.  And He has never failed me! 

I am so thankful for my knowledge of the gospel.  I am so thankful for the love that I feel from my Heavenly Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I am so thankful for being raised in a home where I was taught from a very young age to know these things.  I am so thankful for all the doorsteps that I stood on and had the Spirit of the Lord testify to me as I testified to others.  I am thankful for a Sunday School teacher who helped me remember.

No comments: