Monday, August 24, 2015

Grandma-Great

For the last almost 16 years, I have been blessed to know one of the kindest women in the world.  From the very first time Michael took me to her house, she loved me and accepted me as one of her own.  I become part of the family as soon as I walked through her doorway.  As the years passed, she became one of my cherished friends.  I knew I could tell her anything and she would listen and love me no matter what.  She wanted to know how I was, what I was doing and how I was feeling.  She listened to my struggles and offered comfort.  She listened to my triumphs and celebrated.  She listened to my everyday life and wanted to be a part of it. 

When we lived near her, we would go visit at least weekly, often times more.  My kids loved her.  She loved my kids.  She always had treats for them - lots of treats! And she would always bring out her toys so they could play.  She would ask each of them questions about what was going on in their lives and then listen when they answered.  She always had hugs and kisses for them.

When we lived too far away to visit I would call her at least once a week.  We could talk about anything and everything.  I looked forward to our phone conversations. They were always one of the highlights of my week!  The kids would write her letters and draw her pictures.  They missed her and looked forward to our occasional trips to see her.

Now she is older and weaker.  Our phone conversations are shorter and often repetitive.  I still love to hear her voice though.  I still love to hear her say my name.  I still love to hear her tell me she loves me.  My heart hurts as I hear the news about her weakening.  What I would give to be sitting in her living room on her blue couch, seeing her smile and listening to her tell us the latest news.  What I would give to be able to give her a huge hug and feel her hug me back. 

I hope she knows how much I love her.  I hope she knows how much she brightened my days.  I hope she knows how much I look up to her.  I hope she knows that I think about her every day.  Even though we are not connected by blood, she will always be
my Grandma and she truly is great.


No comments: