Monday, March 16, 2015

A Quiet Prayer

Sunday was not a good day.  There was a lot of crazy that was going on around here!  I won't get into all the details but stress levels and emotions increased as the afternoon went on.  We were going to feed the missionaries from our church supper Sunday night so I had started getting everything ready while Michael went to feed the cows.  Right before it was time for me to go pick up the missionaries, I asked a couple of the kids to go make sure the van was cleaned out and the garbage was picked up.  Well.... another of my kids was out at the van trying to pick the lock.  Apparently that particular child had locked our only set of keys in the van.  This child then decided to try to pick the lock with some wire instead of coming to tell me.  In the process, the wire got stuck in the key hole and the doors were still locked.  That only increased my frustration, to say the least.  I went back into the house to give Maddi instructions on what to do with supper while I was gone, muttering under my breath the whole time.  As I walked through the dining room, I saw Zeke get on his knees and say a prayer.  I don't know what he said in that prayer, but I was touched by his reaction (especially compared to my reaction).  After he was done he got up and asked what he could do to help.  Long story short, the evening went fine.  The missionaries got fed and one of them even told me it was one of the best meals that she had eaten her entire mission (which would be about 18 months).  Michael was able to somehow go through the front of the van and get the doors unlocked and got the wire out of the keyhole and we were all able to survive the rest of the day.

I am very grateful for Zeke's example and his quiet prayer.  It made me stop and remember who I could turn to when life is full of crazy.  His prayer didn't automatically fix anything or magically put things back in order, but it did soften my heart and help me feel some calmness through our crazy Sunday afternoon.

No comments: