Friday, June 6, 2014

A Simple Ring

This is a ring one of my brothers gave me.  It is just a silver band.  Nothing fancy or expensive.  I have been wearing it everyday for a month or so.  It is a reminder.  He is going through a rough patch right now.  Wearing this ring reminds me to think of him and pray for him.  However, wearing this ring has reached out beyond my brother.  As I think about him, I also think about others who are struggling right now - my friend who has cancer, another friend who lost her grandfather recently, a boy who is left by himself all day to wander around town with no one that really cares for him, an elderly lady who is alone quite often, so many people with their own set of struggles. This ring reminds me to be soft and understanding of others and their struggles.  It reminds me not to judge.  It reminds me to reach out and show love when normally I wouldn't have.  It reminds me to wave and smile :) 

It has done even more.  It reminds me that I am loved - by my family, by my friends and by my Savior.  It reminds me that I am not alone, none of us are alone.  He is there waiting for us with His hands out ready to help.  Life can be hard, challenges can be overwhelming, but He will help us through.  Knowing this gives me strength to continue on, to trudge through the mud and continue on to higher ground.

As I am reminded of the love and blessings I have in my life and as I am reminded of those who are in need, I am reminded that have the ability and responsibility to reach out and lift those around me.  If I, in faith, will reach out and grab hold of the Savior's hand, He will help me do just that.  He will help me see the needs around me and He will help me provide for their needs.  As I follow His example and serve others, even if it means making sacrifices myself, He will bless me with the means to help pull others out of the mud and up to higher ground.

No comments: