Saturday, April 5, 2014

Uplifted

Twice a year, our church has something called General Conference.  It takes place the first weekend of April and October.  It is a time where everyone all over the world can listen to the leaders of our church - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  They teach of Jesus Christ and instruct us on how to live better lives.  It is broadcast all over the world in many different languages.  We are able listen to it on lds.org.  I love it!  This year I wrote down some of my favorite quotes as I listened to the different speakers.  Here is what I heard and learned from this conference:

"Stand in holy places and be not moved."
 
"I [God} will not leave you comfortless."
 
"Pure Christlike love flowing from righteousness can change the world"
 
"Challenges will come to you, but as you turn to God, they will strengthen you."
 
"Families are the treasure of heaven."
 
"In the gospel of Jesus Christ there is no room for judging, ruling or bigotry."
 
"The happiness of eternal life comes through family bonds."
 
"The bumper sticker question, 'What would Jesus Do?', will not always bring a popular response."
 
"Righteousness must be chosen."
 
"If you let Him [God] be the leader of your family, things will work out."
 
"Faith is the anecdote of fear."
 
"Even if everyone is doing it, wrong will never be right."
 
"Always seek to strengthen family."
 
"Be careful who you follow."
 
"As disciples of Christ we have the sacred duty to uphold His laws and commandments."
 
"Lean wisdom in thy youth, yea learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God."
 
"Without me [Jesus] ye can do nothing."
 
"Words that can be firm in information can be soft in spirit."

"We can be grateful."
 
"Choosing to develop a spirit of gratitude will bring us true joy."

"Gratitude is a way of life independent of our current circumstances."

"Gratitude is an expression of hope and testimony."

"Endings are not our destiny.  We are eternal."

"Our Father in Heaven reaches out to each of us with His infinite love."

"God is watching us.  We are not alone."

"Our Father knows us and hears the pleadings of our heart.  He accomplishes His miracles one prayer at a time, one person at a time."

"You can feel peace in the midst of turmoil."

"The miracle of the atonement can make up for imperfections in our performance."

"You have the Savior of the world on your side."

"The atonement of Jesus Christ allows us to do good and become better."

"Love is the very essence of the gospel and Jesus the perfect exemplar."

"Everyday of our lives we are given opportunities to show love to those around us."

"Love should be the very heart of family life."

"Forgiveness should go hand in hand with love."

"Let's determine to respond in love and kindness to whatever may come our way."
 
"Knowledge and intelligence are obtained through obedience and diligence."
 
"Parenthood is a sacred privilege."
 
"We are led by a prophet of God."
 
"Each of us is a son or daughter of God. Each of us has a unique story."
 
"Today's complexity demands greater simplicity."
 
"Obedience is an emblem of our faith."
 
"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God." - James 1:5
 
"Revelation has not ceased, the heavens are open."
 
"Family is the pattern of heaven."
 
"We need to put more time and effort into strengthening and preserving the family."
 
"Faith without works is dead."
 
"If we are sincerely seeking the truth, we will do all in our power to find it."
 
"May we resolve to do a little better than we have in the past."
 
 
I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to listen to conference this weekend.  It was just what I needed.  Lately I have been very tired and stressed.  I had many questions and frustrations.  Now my soul has been calmed, my spirit rejuvenated and lifted, my body rested, my mind enlightened.  My prayers and pleadings have been answered.  I know that I am not alone.   I know that my Father in Heaven is mindful of me and my needs and that He hears and answers my prayers.  All will be well.

No comments: