Sunday, December 1, 2013

Christmas

I love Christmas.  I love the spirit that comes with the season.  I love singing carols.  I love buying gifts for my family and friends.  I love seeing the surprise and joy on their faces.  I love baking Christmas treats.  I love looking at my tree with all the mismatched ornaments that the kids have made over the years.  I love watching them put the decorations on the tree and talk about where they came from.  I love being able to talk about Christ and share the story of His birth.  I love telling and listening to Christmas stories filled with love and kindness and service.  I love seeing the lights and decorations.  It is just a beautiful time of year!

This year however, I have had a harder time feeling that.  I'm not sure why.  I am trying to find that Christmas cheer so I can have it for my children.  They, too, love this time of year.  Over the last few days I have had many thoughts running through my head and many emotions running through my heart.  I decided to try to write it all down.  I'm not sure I got it down the way I would like to have but I will share it anyways...


Walking down the street, looking through the storefront windows. 
Families gathering together, friends greeting each other with hugs and hellos.
Filing into the cafe for some warm food and lively conversation.
The window fills with reflections of years gone by,
Memories of time spent surrounded by the love of family and friends.
Memories of laughter and stories, hugs and winks from loved ones.
Jingling bells bring the warm memories back to the present of cold loneliness.
Stepping back from the window the smile fades into a longing sigh.
Turning for home the joyful sounds are muffled by the flood of emotions.
Tears stinging in the cold, the footsteps become quicker as home draws closer.
Quietly a song drifts from a nearby church, "Silent night, holy night."
The footsteps stop as the words continue to drift through the air.
"Shepherds quake at the sight. Glories stream from Heaven afar."
Peace begins to fill the sad soul as the words continue,
"Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia! Christ the Savior is born"
Heading towards the church, a smile forms as the choir sings again,
"Christ the Savior is born!"
Stepping into the lighted church, warmth abounds and love surrounds.
Loneliness is replaced by wonder and awe. "Who was this child who came for me?"
A once empty heart is filled,
"Joy to the world, the Lord is come.  Let earth receive her King!"
Bowing now in pure humility, a prayer is said in silence.
"Let every heart, prepare Him room."
Indescribable joy fills every inch of a once sagging body.
Stepping out into the night with new found knowledge,
Knowing that Christ is always there with love and understanding.
Testimony bringing warmth on a cold, clear night
"Hark the Herald angels sing. Glory to the newborn King...
with angelic hosts proclaim, Christ is born in Bethlehem!"

Christmas can be such a beautiful time of year, but it can also be a very lonely and sad time of year.  There are those around us that we may or may not be aware of that are struggling and lonely.  We all go through hard, lonely times in our lives.  Sometimes we do it surrounded by those we love.  Other times we struggle through alone.  One thing that we can all be sure of though is that the Savior is ALWAYS there for us.  He will never leave us alone.  As we make room for Him in our lives His peace and love will fill our souls and we will know that all will be ok.  We can play a part in that for others.  If we will open our eyes to those around us, we can  help bring that peace and love into their lives.  We can be that hug that they need or those words of encouragement when it gets tough.  We can help proclaim, "Joy to the world!"  We can be that quiet song that fills them with comfort, that warmth that surrounds them.  I hope this Christmas season that I can be that to some one else. 

2 comments:

A Wilson said...

Emma, You are so beautiful. Thank you for the poem. I needed that today. We sure love you and your family. We are headed home next month so when you come to Idaho You'll have to come see us. Keep smiling and have a wonderful Christmas with all your family.

Emma said...

I don't know when we will make it to Idaho again but when we do we will for sure come see you!