Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!  I love this day!  For one, Michael usually has the day off and we love having him home with us all day.  He also always smokes our turkey.  There is nothing better than a smoked turkey.

Look how beautiful it is!

For another, we get to bake.  I love baking and the kids love helping.  We bake rolls.  Two batches this year - 8 dozen.  One batch to keep and one to give away.


Those are beautiful too aren't they?

We also get to "bake" fried pies - apple, cherry, lemon, blueberry, apricot and strawberry rhubarb.


And pumpkin rolls.  I made several.  One to keep and the rest to give away. 
 

I love pumpkin rolls!

We also get to spend the day thinking about the many blessings we have.  We all write in our thankful book and look back on past years of the things we were thankful for.
 

This year we also did something different.  We wanted to teach our children that there is a least one thing, even on a bad day, that is good that we can be thankful for.  Heavenly Father blesses us each and every day.  So I made a thankful tree.  A big one.  We put it up on our wall in the living room for everyone to see.  Then I cut out a bunch of leaves from my scrapbook paper.  Every night we each took a leaf and wrote something from that day that we were thankful for.  Something personal.  Not "I am thankful for the grass" or "I am thankful for air" but something with more meaning.  "I am thankful for a high five from a friend" or "I am thankful for a ride to the bus stop when it was cold" or "I am thankful I got to help Dad today." Specific blessings from that day. The kids really got into it.  They looked forward to it each night and seemed excited to be able to share what they were thankful for from that day.  There were days where they had to think really hard and couldn't seem to come up with anything.  On those days Michael and I would help them see things that maybe they had overlooked.  Michael and I also wrote on the leaves.  The kids liked reading ours too.  Over the weeks our tree grew and took up most of the wall.


I am so glad that we did this.  Some days life is hard so it was good to sit down at the end of the day and focus on the good that had happened even if the overall day was a frustration.

No comments: