Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 5: Closer to Christ

Question: Who am I?

Read: Psalms 82:6  I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
Acts 17:27-28  That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Ponder: Why does Christ care about me?  In what ways do I see His hand in my life?

"One of the greatest challenges is to overcome the feeling that we are unimportant, that we are not special an unique.  Do you think for a moment that Heavenly Father would have sent one of His children to the earth by accident, with out the possibility of significant work to perform?... My dear friends, you are a royal generation... Not just a few of you, but all of you.  There are things for each of you to do that no one else can do as well as you. If you do not prepare to do them, they will not be done.  Your mission is unique and distinctive for you. Please don't make another have to take your place.  He or she can't do it as well ass you can.  If you will let Him, I testify that our Heavenly Father will walk you through the journey of life and inspire you to know your special purpose here."                                                           -H. Burke Peterson

"Who are we?  We are children of God.  Our potential is unlimited.  Our inheritance is sacred.  May we always honor that heritage - in every thought and deed."  - Russell M. Nelson

Today's reading hits kind of close to home for me.  I go through most of my days feeling inadequate in what I am doing.  My confidence comes and goes.  There are days that I sit and wonder what in the world I am doing.  I wonder at my purpose, my importance.  Some days I feel like my kids have been ripped off having me for a mom!  I wonder if I am doing right and if my life  or my presence has really made any difference to anyone at all. 

Yet, deep down I know who I am.  I always have.  I know that Christ came to this earth and sacrificed for me.  If I was the only person that would ever live on this earth, He still would have come down and done it for me.  He knows me.  He knows my struggles, my pains, my weaknesses.  He knows my joys, my triumphs and He celebrates with me in them.  Why does He care about me?  Because He is my Brother.  His love is true and unconditional.  His love spans the eternities and endures the ups and downs, the times when I pull away and stray from the straight and narrow.  He is always there.  All I need to do is stick out my hand and He will take it and lead me back to my Father in Heaven.

I have seen His hand in my life in so many ways.  Simple ways.  Real ways.  Everything good in my life I attribute to Him.  In the Book of Mormon in Omni 1:25 it says, "there is nothing which is good save it comes from the Lord." 

I have felt His hand so often.  I have mentioned before the heat we took for having so many kids so close together.  Even family questioned what we were doing.  When I had my miscarriage, it was family that said maybe it was my fault for having so many so close together.  It wasn't.  Having children was something that I took very seriously.  Being a mother is something that I took very seriously.  It is a sacred responsibility and I didn't take it lightly.  When we decided to have another child, it was only after having long conversations with the Lord.  I felt Him guide me during those years. 

Our moving and jobs that we have had over the years is another area that I have felt His hand in my life.  Sometimes the decision to move or switch jobs was easy and brought excitement.  Other times it was hard and brought many tears and struggles.  Through it all though, we were blessed with peace and comfort.  That peace and comfort let me know that we were doing the right thing and that He was there to help us through it all.  It gave me strength to do what was needed and to help my children through their struggles.

I feel His hand in other ways too, quiet reassurances, gentle promptings, kind words from others, joy in my childrens' faces.  He is there in so many ways.  He knows me.  He loves me.  I am a daughter of God.  I have divine potential.  He is there to help me discover that potential and live up to it.

No comments: