Friday, September 27, 2013

A Confident Princess

For the last 6 weeks I have been teaching PE.  I have really loved being able to be in the school and get to know all the kids and teachers better.  I have also loved being able to see my kids in their school environment.  I have learned things about all of them and their classmates as I've observed them in different situations.  Growing up I was very shy and had low self esteem and zero confidence.  That is something that I have tried to change with my kids.  I try to help them feel good about themselves so that they won't have to go through a lot of the things that I went through because of how I felt about myself.

Olivia is very much a social butterfly.  She loves to talk and keeps up on all the latest with everyone!  She is a total fashionista.  She loves clothes and shoes, make up and jewelry.  She loves to have her friends with her and gets upset when she feels like they are leaving her out.

Today in PE we had a free day since it was my last day.  The first graders got to play with jump ropes, hula hoops and scooters.  Olivia was one of the first in line to choose and she chose jump ropes.  As the rest of the class went through most of her friends chose the scooters.  I watched to see what she would do, thinking that she would change and go with her friends even though she wanted to jump rope.  I was so happy to see that she didn't switch!  She wanted to jump rope and she was ok doing it by herself while her friends were doing something else.  As a mom, it made me so thankful that she was confident enough in herself to play by herself instead of having to follow the crowd so she wouldn't be alone.  When she was done jump roping she played with the hula hoop.  Some of her friends joined her.  By the end of the class they were all on the scooters together having fun, but I was so glad that she went when she wanted to not when everyone else did.  I hope that as she gets older she will continue to have that self confidence and know that it's ok to not always have to do what every one else is doing.

No comments: