Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mommy! Mommy!

A few years ago when my kids were all younger I wrote this poem around Mother's Day.

Mommy! Mommy! I need my cup so I can have a drink!
Mommy! Mommy! Does this match, what do you think?
Mommy! Mommy! I'm hungry, I really need a snack!
Mommy! Mommy! Have you seen my school backpack?
Mommy! Mommy! Watch me do this really cool trick!
Mommy! Mommy! Where is my favorite brown stick?
Mommy! Mommy! There's something stinky over there!
Mommy! Mommy! Can you get this gum out of my hair?
Mommy! Mommy! I lost my boot somewhere in the hay shed!
Mommy Mommy! Will you check for coyotes under my bed?
Mommy! Mommy! I want to sit next to you on the couch tonight!
Mommy! Mommy! Will you snuggle me up before you turn out the light?
Mommy! Mommy! I love you!  You're the best mom ever!
Mommy! Mommy! Can we be best buddies forever and ever?
Mommy! Mommy! I need a kiss good night!  Oh and
Mommy! Mommy! One more thing, don't let the bed bugs bite!

The years have gone by and the kids are all older.  My youngest is now almost to the age that my oldest was at the time I wrote this.  There are still demands, maybe not filling sippy cups and looking for coyotes under the bed, but we still have those Mommy! Mommy! days.  Some of my children do a better job (on certain days) of reminding me that motherhood requires patience and lots of love and forgiving.  Some of my children do a good job of reminding me about unconditional love and enjoying the simple things in life.  All of my children help keep me focused on what is really important in life - that is being together.  There are days that if I didn't have the knowledge that families last beyond this life into the next, it would be really hard to continue on in patience and love.  Those days are really hard!  But the fact that I know that we are a family that can be together forever, I am able to continue on listening to the chants of Mommy! Mommy! and make it through the day!

I love my children!  This morning I was greeted by homemade cards and gifts, along with a little chocolate :)  I love their excitement as they give me what they have made.  Some came from school for which I thank the teachers for being so thoughtful.  Some came from promptings from Michael when I wasn't listening.  Some though, came straight from them - pictures of me and them holding hands or riding a long-necked T-Rex.

I know I have said this before, but before I left on my mission to Ireland, I was having an interview with one of my church leaders.  He told me that while serving a mission nothing would bring me more joy and nothing would be harder than this service except motherhood.  During my mission I thought of that quite often and I thought he was wrong!  There was nothing that could outdo the joy or be harder than what I was experiencing in Ireland as  missionary!  Then I became a mother and I immediately knew that what he had said five years earlier was 100% true.  Motherhood has brought me greater joy than anything in this life.  It has also been the absolute hardest thing I have ever done.  I am so thankful for the chance I have to be a mother of six beautiful children.  Even on the Mommy! Mommy! days

No comments: