Saturday, January 5, 2013

Homesick... Thoughts from the past

This week I have been quite homesick.  I'm not exactly sure why or what brought it on.  Maybe it's the fact that summer is almost over and another school year is about to begin.  Maybe its the fact that Michael is back to work and I am single momming it again.  Maybe it's just the fact that I have discovered there are some very important things in life that can't be replaced with money or things or ice cream!  Of course I have always known that, but sometimes life has a way of reminding me.  For instance, one thing I am homesick for is a house that feels like a home.  I had that once, in Rupert.  It was just a simple little brick home on a dirt road, but I loved it.  I learned this last week that it is going up for sale.  How I would love to sit in that living room again, looking out the big huge window at the big huge yard, the trees, the fields.  It has made me homesick for a time long gone and memories that can't be replaced.  Another thing I am homesick for is friends.  Friends that have changed my life and my childrens' lives.  Friends that only come around once in a lifetime.  Friends like these



The world doesn't make any better than this.  I know.  I've lived a lot of places and met a lot of people.  They are some of the best and I have missed them terribly this week. 

This is a post I started before last school year when we still lived in Wyoming.  I remember when I wrote this and the struggle I was having.  Well, it's been over a year since I wrote this.  We now live in Minnesota and just bought our second house a few months ago.  Moving back was a dream come true for several reasons.  The first being that Michael would now be home to be a part of our family.  The second was that we were moving back to a place that we loved.  The third was that we were going to be near friends that are very dear to us.

I will say, as I've said before, that it did not all turn out as we planned.  That's okay though.  We have the important things - the little things.  Michael spending the evenings with us.  Friends that, even though we can go weeks without seeing each other, seem like we were together just yesterday.  You know what I mean?  We can go without seeing or talking to each other but when we do get together it's like we were never apart.  I love it :)  There's other little things - waving to everyone you pass and having them wave back, taking treats to the nice elderly lady next door and having her hug you and tell you that she loves you, going to school and knowing all the kids, getting to coach and be involved with the kids, being able to walk to the store and the park and the bakery, having hometown/school spirit that brings communities together, playing in the streets, making fires and roasting marshmallows - so many little things that add up to make a wonderful life.  I'm so thankful for our opportunity to be here again and for the many blessings we have as a result.

No comments: