Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Go Forward

Okay, so I don't get in to politics too much.  It drives me crazy.  All the lies and mudslinging and fighting.  It seriously makes me crazy!  It's like a junior high sissy fight - all the drama and silliness.  Can't stand it... There is one thing that bothers me more though - it's people's reaction to politics.

We just had an election.  Obviously not everyone got what they wanted out of the election.  Today Facebook, the internet and the news is filled with all this craziness over the reactions people are having.  I don't understand it.  Don't get me wrong, I have opinions and I was disappointed in things that took place and results that came in, but I don't understand the extreme responses. There's all this tough talk, talk of darkness for the next four years, blaming Obama lovers for all the problems that are coming to us, kicking people in the balls, etc, etc, etc....  What?!  I know we have freedom of speech and all that other stuff.  If we didn't I couldn't be writing this now.  But sometimes we need to stop and think if what we are saying is really helping the situation.

I want to bring it back home for me.  I am a Mormon - I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I am a Christian - I believe in Jesus Christ.  I believe that He is my Savior.  I believe that He came to this earth, suffered for my sins, died on the cross and was resurrected so that I, a sinner, could return to live with my Heavenly Father again.  It requires faith, hard work, continued and constant repentance and obedience to the laws of God. 

There may be dark times ahead, there may be obstacles and hardships, but we are told to have faith.  We are told to put our trust in God.  We are told to act like the Christians we claim to be.  Just because we don't like something doesn't mean we get to put our standards and morals aside and act like blind, raging idiots!  Christ did not do that.  As Christians we carry His name, we represent Him.  We can't do that while we are threatening people and calling names.

The leaders of my church put out this statement:

"We congratulate President Obama on winning a second term as President of the United States.

After a long campaign, this is now a time for Americans to come together. It is a long tradition among Latter-day Saints to pray for our national leaders in our personal prayers and in our congregations. We invite Americans everywhere, whatever their political persuasion, to pray for the President, for his administration and the new Congress as they lead us through difficult and turbulent times. May our national leaders reflect the best in wisdom and judgment as they fulfill the great trust afforded to them by the American people."

What a great example to us!  This is how we, as Christians, should act.  We already know who will win the fight between good and evil.  The question is, which side will we be on?  When we put our morals down, we are stepping on the side of evil.  We can't control other people.  We can't change their minds by threatening them and calling them names.  We can, however, make sure that we are in check for what we should be doing.  Are we the citizen that we want everyone else to be?  Are we the friend to others that we want others to be to us?  Do we look after our neighbors and help those in need?  Do we pray for those that lead us?  Do we go forward with faith and do our best and know that in the end all will be okay?

In the Bible there is a story.  It is found in Genesis.  The Lord was talking to Abraham about destroying Sodom because of the wickedness in the city.  The Lord told Abraham that if he could find 50 righteous people in the city then He would not destroy it.  Abraham asks the Lord what if he can only find forty-five.  The Lord said he would spare the city for forty-five righteous people.  Abraham then asks what if he can only find forty righteous people.  The Lord said he would spare the city for forty people.  Abraham continues this all the way down to ten.  The Lord says in verse 32 of chapter 18: "I will bnot destroy it for ten’s sake." 

The Lord will protect us according to our righteousness.  Will it all be easy?  No.  Will we face challenges and hardships?  Yes.  Will the decisions of others affect us?  Yes.  So what can we do?  We can pray.  We can be law abiding citizens. We can be obedient.  We can be faithful.  We can be righteous. If we are not religious, we can still be good citizens, obedient to the laws of the land and respectful of our neighbors and fellow Americans.

I know there are tough times ahead.  It would be that way no matter who was president.  I know we are all going to walk stormy paths at times.  But there will also be good things and sunny days that will bring light and joy to our lives.

Henry B. Eyring, a leader in my church, said this: “Ask yourself, 'How did God bless me today?' If you do that long enough and with faith, you will find yourself remembering blessings. And sometimes, you will have gifts brought to your mind which you failed to notice during the day, but which you will then know were a touch of God’s hand in your life.”

This morning I woke to a beautiful blue sky with a warm sun shining down on me.  The wind was calm, the town filled with colors of fall.  The air was cold but the view was beautiful.  God has given us so  many things to help us, lift us, bless us, strengthen us and guide us.  During the tough times, if we can remember to look for the good, serve others, and show gratitude we will feel His love and strength and know that all is well.

I'm not trying to preach religion.  I am trying to point out that there are other ways to deal with disappointment than what I have seen over the last few days.  Some worry about the future for their children, I worry about that too.  I have six children that have a lot of life ahead of them.  But who is president isn't the only thing that is affecting them right now.  Who I am has a greater affect.  My reactions and ability to handle different situations is affecting them.  I need to make sure that I will not be a stumbling block in their future.  All of us have morals and standards, religious or not.  We need to pull together, hold to those morals, keep our standards high and go forward.

No comments: