Thursday, August 9, 2012

Being a Parent...

Sometimes it is really hard.  There are decisions that have to be made that are hard.  We are facing that right now.  We moved back to this wonderful community that we loved so much.  The families here are great and the community is such a great place to raise a family.  We bought a little house on the edge of town that we love and feel very blessed to have.  Our kids have gone to school here in the past and we loved it.  We have great friends here, our kids have great friends.  Yet, there are things that are missing.  We have needs that can not be met here so we have to go elsewhere to find what we need.  Our kids were so excited to get to go back to school with their friends.  They were already signing up for sports and getting geared up for the school year.  We had done our school shopping and we were ready to go.  Then I could ignore it no longer.  I thought maybe things would just go away or get better.  I didn't want to have to make a decision like this.  But I knew I had to.  I made the phone call to the neighboring school.  They were able to offer us the things that we needed.  There was no pushing or persuading - just informing.  After the conversation I knew what we needed to do.  I texted Michael to see if we could go out for a while that evening to talk about it without little ears listening in.  After I filled him in, he felt the same. 

We went home and broke the news to the kids that they would not be Hendricks Grizzlies.  They would be Deubrook Dolphins.  It broke my heart as I watched my oldest break down and sob.  She was so looking forward to a school year with her best friend.  I was so glad to see them back together again and able to pick up right where they left off.  Yet, I knew this was what was right for our family.  Michael knew it was what was best.  How could we do anything else? 

This morning we went and had a tour of the new school with the principal.  She is a wonderful person and a family friend.  She was very good with the kids and very understanding of the situation - her kids had gone through it too a few years earlier.  I left still feeling good about the decision yet still heart broken that it had to be made.  I called Hendricks and let them know of our situation and took the kids to Walmart to go school shopping again with their new supply list.

When I got home their was a message to call the principal about our decision.  I hesitated.  I am not good with confrontation or emotions.  He was very nice and understanding as I explained our situation.  My kids feel better after having visited the school but some are still quite upset.  It is a very touchy subject.  I know the coming days will be hard for them as their friends find out and question them.  It will be hard for me as my friends find out and question me!  This is the part of parenting that I so dislike.  We know it will be best in the long run but the present doesn't necessarily show that, especially in the eyes of a child.  It is hard for them to understand and to see that far into the future. 

While I was checking my emails this afternoon, I read one that brought tears to my eyes and warmth to my soul.  It said:  "Fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks ..., for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of the Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament--the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted. Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, saith the Lord."

I have been praying for my children, especially the needs of one.  I have been praying for the strength to do what I know is right.  It is hard to face some of our friends and let them know our decision.  I feel at times that it may seem like a betrayal to our friendship (school is a big issue here).  My stomach has been in knots as I have begun to make the phone calls and let people know.  I dread the response of some.  I hate that my kids may be subjected to pressure and comments that they don't need to be subjected to.  Yet, here in answer to prayers, was this scripture.  My prayers have been heard, all things will work together for our good.  It will be okay.

Being a parent is hard, but it is also rewarding and a huge blessing.  Decisions like this bring pain and sadness but strengthen us in the long run.  It allows us to trust and show faith.  It prepares us for future decisions and it enables us to see the blessings in our lives.

No comments: