Wednesday, April 11, 2012

He Always Keeps His Word

"If we have faith in Jesus Christ, the hardest as well as the easiest times in life can be a blessing. In all conditions, we can choose the right with the guidance of the Spirit. We have the gospel of Jesus Christ to shape and guide our lives if we choose it.  We can live with perfect hope and a feeling of peace. We never need to feel that we are alone or unloved..., because we never are. We can feel the love of God. The Savior has promised angels on our left and our right, to bear us up. And He always keeps His word."  - Henry B. Eyring


I have been thinking a lot lately about life and all it's twists and turns.  I know my trials pale in comparison to others.  I know some people would love to only have to deal with the things I deal with.  At the same time, even though others may breeze through my life with no problems, they are my trials and they are hard for me.  It amazes me how different each and every ones trials are so different.  I had a roommate in college who was falling apart because her parents wouldn't allow her to have her car at college and they wouldn't send her more money for more clothes.  It seriously was a challenge for her.  I would have loved to have those problems!  The things she was challenged with would have been easy for me to bear and the things I was challenged with would have been easy for her to bear.  We were different people in need of learning different things and we had experiences in accordance to what we needed.  


One thing I have found in all my different situations that remains the same is how faith affects them.  No matter what we are being faced with, if we have faith, things will go better, we will learn more and the pain will be easier to bear.  It doesn't mean it will be easier, it just means that we will be able to feel added strength as we endure it.  I love the quote at the beginning of this blog.  We can find blessings at all points in our life, whether we are struggling or sailing through, there are blessings waiting for us if we have faith.  The gospel does shape us and guide us if we allow it to.  I know there are so many things in my life I wouldn't be able to do if it weren't for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the Spirit to teach me and guide me.  Each day I face things that I can't do alone.  Each day I recognize things that happened that were beyond my abilities.  I can be lead and guided if I turn to the Lord, have faith in Him and follow His Spirit.  My favorite part of the quote is the end.  " We never need to feel that we are alone or unloved..., because we never are. We can feel the love of God. The Savior has promised angels on our left and our right, to bear us up. And He always keeps His word."  Can you picture that?  Angels on our left and right, lifting us up?  What a beautiful thought that is!  What a wonderful knowledge to know that we are never alone.  He does send angels to help us.  He always loves us and He always keeps his word!


Right now is a real struggle for me.  My days are long and lonely.  My stress levels high and my responsibilities overwhelming.  There are days when I wake up and wonder how I will get it all done.  Each night I go to bed tired and exhausted but with the realization that I had made it through and I had accomplished all that needed to be accomplished.  It is a humbling feeling because I know that I didn't do it all with y own strength.  When I was a new missionary in Ireland, I remember how my feet used to hurt so bad.  We walked everywhere all day long and it had gotten to where my feet were in so much pain.  At nights they would be swollen and sore.  In the morning when I first stood up pain would shoot through my feet and up my legs.  It was horrible.  I remember praying and expressing my pain to my Heavenly Father, reminding Him that I was doing His work and asking Him to take the pain away. The pain, however, remained.  One night after saying my prayers and hobbling into bed the realization came to me through the spirit, no the pain had not been taken away but I had been given the strength each day to get through it.  Each day I was given the strength to get out of bed, do my missionary work and return home safely.  It was a very overwhelming realization and it has been a lesson that I have never forgotten and that I have seen replayed over and over many times in my life.  Though I struggle each day, I know that each day I am being helped beyond my capabilities.  For that, I am grateful.


I am so thankful for the help that I have in my life.  It ranges from kind acts from others to a few quiet minutes at the end of the day. No matter what it is though, I realize that it is a blessing from above and that I am not forgotten and left alone.  He has promised me this and He always keeps His word.

1 comment:

fe said...

Emma, you are a truly amazing woman, beautiful inside and out. Thank you for your beautiful post; truly sometimes we can do is thank the Lord that we can take another breath . . . my thoughts and prayers are with you!!