Monday, April 2, 2012

General Conference Weekend

This weekend we were privilaged to watch General Conference.  For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a semi annual conference that is televised world wide.  It goes for Saturday and Sunday.  The leaders of our church teach us about the Savior and His gospel.  It is a wonderful weekend in many respects.  I usually try to find things for the kids to do to help them be able to sit and watch and learn.  This year we did ties.  For every speaker I gave each of the kids a tie.  They were supposed to color the tie to match the speakers tie.  Then on the back side they wrote the speakers name and something that they spoke about. I was surprised by how well they liked it!  Even Olivia stayed on task!  We also made treats and in between sessions (there are four - 2 each day) we spent time playing out side and enjoying the beautiful weather.

There were many things that touched me over the weekend.  One was a quote from Jeffrey R. Holland.  He said "It is never to late so long as the Master of the Vineyard says there is time."  He was talking about repentance and changing our lives.  There is time and a way for each of us, no matter how horrible we think we are, to change and repent and turn to the Savior.  His arms are open and ready for us to turn to Him.  I love that.  As a mother my weaknesses are thrown out in front of me constantly.  I am very aware of my shortcomings and am often overwhelmed with all that I need to do to become like my Savior and be the kind of person that I know I need to be.  This gave me the reassurance that I can still change and that the Savior still loves me.


Another quote was from Elder Soares.  He said, "You cannot be right by doing wrong and you cannot be wrong by doing right."  Sometimes the world says that right is wrong and wrong is right.  It makes it hard when we are trying our best to do right and the world is telling us we are wrong or stupid for doing what we are doing.  This is reassurance that in the Lord's eye right is still right and wrong is still wrong.


The last one was a quote from M. Russell Ballard.  He said "Remove all of your fear with faith."  I love that!  It is hard to do though.  There are so many things that I get worried about or stressed out about.  If I would just relax and put my faith in Christ, all would be well.  I like to have control though and faith doesn't mean control.  When we have faith, we put our trust and our hearts into the Lord's hands and do things according to His will, not ours. I have a hard time with that though.  I do know, however, that the times that I DO do this, it works out much better and with much less stress and worry!


As I said, there were many more things that touched me but these stuck out to me.  One other thing that made me smile was this:
Zeke wrote this during one of the sessions, "I love conference". He sounded it out himself and wrote it by himself.  Then we put it on the piano for everyone to see :)

This is the other thing he wrote. "I love mom and dad and the kids."  Once again, sounded out and written by him :)

1 comment:

Spencer and Kimberly said...

Nice highlights of conference! I love Zeke's notes. That age is the best when they sound things out!