Thursday, March 8, 2012

You Raise Me Up



I love Celtic Woman.  They have beautiful, haunting Irish voices and music. It calms me like nothing else can.  This particular song I listen to on a regular basis.  Our move to Green River has been particularly hard.  I have struggled with Michael's work schedule that has taken him from the family.  I have struggled with a child that I don't know how to help.  I have struggled with individuals that don't know their boundaries and can't seem to give me the credit I deserve.  I have struggled with being away from friends that I love in a setting that I love.  This song touches me clear through my heart.  It warms me and lightens me.  I can't really describe it's affect but if you listen to it I think you may feel the same.

I have thought a lot lately about how our actions affect those around us.  We really can either raise people up or do the opposite.  These last few weeks have been particularly hard and I have been blessed by people who have chosen to "raise  me up."  My brother, Spencer and his wife Kimberly, have done it on several occasions - an invitation to hang out and eat cookies, an offer to help transport children from place to place, conversation, and dinner.  My friend, Emily, met me for lunch and we had a great time talking.  We got a package in the mail from our dear friends the Olsens, phone conversations with Grandma Great.  All of these simple things have meant so much to me and have helped to raise my spirits as I struggle.  There are others who have chosen the other way.  There are things that have brought me down, but there has always been some one there to raise me back up.  I hope, as I look at what people have done for me, that I too can help to lift others up the way that I have been lifted up.  I hope I can reach out with simple things and make their day brighter and their way easier.

I listen to this song at nights, after the kids are in bed and all is quiet.  It fills me with gratitude and gives me time to go through the day and find the positive and erase the negative.  I am so grateful for the people in my life that raise me up and help me be stronger because they give me their shoulders to stand on.

No comments: