Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Few Blocks Away

We have lived away from family for 6 of our 10 years of marriage.  Now we are blessed to be back in close distance to them.  Right now it seems strange because it has been so long since we could just swing by on our way home.  I feel like we are on vacation and I keep waiting for the day to come when we have to pack our bags up and head home.  Then I remember that we don't have to do that anymore and for those that are still a few hours away, we don't  have to do it with such a long time in between.  I love it!  My kids love it!  I even think Michael loves it, although love might be a strong word for him!  This morning I went to my parents' house to use their bowflex after I had dropped the older kids off at school.  To my surprise my mom was home.  She had taken a sick day from school.  She was in the middle of trying to make room for a new and bigger kitchen table.  It involved moving an upright freezer to a new room, moving shelves, taking a door off it's hinges and taking the old table downstairs.  I got to help with all of that and show off my handyman skills by not only knowing how to take the door off the hinges, but being able to do it too!  The whole time I got to visit with her and talk about life and anything else that popped into my head.  I did get my workout in and after being there for three hours we went back home.  I loved it!  It has been so long since I have been able to do that.  I didn't realize how much I missed it until I have been able to do it again. My parents love it too.  It has been so long since they have been around their grandkids on a regular basis that they are just soaking it up too.  We are over there almost everyday at their request.  With Michael working late now, it is nice to have them here and for them to want us in their home so much.  I never knew I would love being just blocks away. It has been so long and I have learned to just do things on my own with the kids even if it was hard.  It's nice to have a little extra backup and a few extra hands to help or hug kids when needed!

No comments: