Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Playing Hookie

This morning, I took Zeke to school as usual.  When we got about 1 mile from the school, the road was closed because of flooding.  I turned the car around, turned up a side road and headed back south hoping to find a different road that we could cross.  I called Michael and had him call the school to tell them that we were going to be late and that Zeke would still need breakfast.  Well, each road we came to was closed.  It was getting later and I was afraid that Zeke wouldn't be able to eat.  I called Michael back.  He had just left a message with the school because no one answered the phone.  I asked him to call back, see if Zeke could still eat breakfast and if not tell them we wouldn't be there today.  He gave me the school number and had me call.  I did and she secretary told me they would make sure Zeke got food.  Well, 45 minutes after we had left home, we were still driving trying to find a cross road to get to the other side of the water and get Zeke to school.  It was now 8:25. He was supposed to be there at 8:15.  We were back to where we started from at the Sioux Falls exit.  I called the school back.  She told me how to get to school but it would take me another 30 minutes to get there.  I told her we were jut going to keep Zeke home and we would try again tomorrow.  She was fine with that.  So, home we came.  We went for a nice walk/run/interval train and then got ready to go to the park for a picnic.  It was a beautiful day.  I felt bad for Zeke missing school because he loves it so much.  He didn't seem to mind but I didn't want to keep them home all day on such a beautiful day.  We went to Hy-Vee to get lunchables.  Their machines were having problems so it took us about 30 minutes in the checkout lane!  We finally made it to the park, had a lovely picnic and enjoyed playing until Olivia fell off one of the toys and hit her head.  A good time to stop and come home.  Anyways, we had a fun day playing hookie!  We have to enjoy this nice weather while we can...

No comments: