Thursday, September 23, 2010

Her Voice Brings Me Joy

Growing up we lived, for the most part, far from family.  My extended family is all in the Nashville area.  We lived in California, Oregon, Utah, Montana, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho and a few times in Tennessee for short amounts of time.  As a result I never got to know my extended family all that well.  My mom's parents didn't travel very often and my grandpa passed away when I was young.  My dad's parents came once a year most every year.  They were the ones I knew the best and loved deeply.  When I got married we were blessed to be near lots of family.  Michael's family was all there in the Rupert area where we lived so we got to spend a lot of time with them.  The kids got to know the family and we were all blessed by being close to them.  One of my greatest blessings out of it came through Michael's grandma.  We call her Grandma-Great.  She was always so warm and welcoming.  She loved to have us over and loved seeing the kids.  She would always come out for a visit on special days.  The kids and I would go to her house at least once a week to spend time with her.  I loved out visits and so did the kids.  She became not only the grandma I never had, but she became a close friend with whom I could share my life.  When we moved, it was hard for many reasons, one of those being the fact that I wouldn't have my weekly get togethers with her.  Thank goodness for the telephone.  We talk several times a week pretty much every week.  When I am having a hard time, talking to her brings me strength, peace and joy.  She encourages when I need it.  She uplifts and praises.  She loves no matter what.  I look forward to hearing her voice over the phone and it's a let down when I call and she isn't home to answer.  She always thanks me for calling and tells me how much she appreciates me thinking of her.  Really though, I call for my own selfish reasons!  I call because of how she makes me feel the rest of the day.  I tell her my good things and my not so good things.  I tell her my worries and my triumphs.  I relate to her my every day "mom" things and she listens and loves.  I don't think she realizes how much she means to me.  Since moving to Sioux Falls, I have had a hard time.  Friends have been slow coming.  At first I still had my friends from Hendricks but as time passes, the phone calls become less frequent as well as the get togethers.  The friendships are still there and strong, but the communication is lessening.  It's just what happens when you move.  I have experienced it many times in my life.  Knowing that Grandma was only a phone call away, helped me through some very lonely times.  It gave me a friend when there were none to be found.  I am so grateful for the time that we had there in Rupert to build relationships with our family and to build a friendship with a very dear and sweet lady.  I hope someday to be close enough again to be able to spend time with her and allow my children to be in her home.  Until then, I am grateful for the opportunity to hear her voice.  It truly does bring me joy.

No comments: