Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Little Boy is Growing Up

Zeke, my little baby boy, will soon be crossing over to becoming a big school boy.  I thought it might be good to get him into a preschool a few days a week this year.  He has always been kind of a mama's boy and I was worried that when all day, every day kindergarten came around it would be too much for him.  After much searching, many phone calls, and a little bit of paper work, I found a preschool for him about fifteen minutes away in the next school district.  I assumed it was only a couple days a week.  It's four.  He's only four.  I know some of my others have done it, but I'm not sure how I feel sending him off for four days a week.  He's only gone in the mornings, so it's not that he would be too overwhelmed by it all.  I think it just means that he won't be my baby anymore!  Now, I realize in reality Olivia is the baby of the family, but she is very independent.  She is actually the princess of the family not the baby.  A very strong willed, take control kind of princess.  She doesn't need me near as much as Zeke.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not one of those send my kids off to school and sit at home holding their blankies while I cry kind of person.   I actually love school and watching my kids ride away in the school bus.  It's good for them and it's good for me.  With Zeke it has just happened faster than I expected.  I have been through a lot with Zeke.  I have watched him sick and weak in the hospital.  I have tried to calm him when he woke at night with his nightmares.  I have dealt with emotions unknown to most and fears overwhelmingly close to reality.  I love all my children, but Zeke has a different hold on me and while I am glad to see him grow up and develop, it puts me on edge with what the future holds.  Anyways, Zeke is excited to say the least.  I allowed him to sleep with his new school shoes last night. That was always one of our exciting back to school rituals - we slept with our new shoes.  Michael took some of the fun out of it and wouldn't let him wear them, but he put them at the foot of his bed and he and they slept peacefully all night.  It will be an exciting and different year, but I guess every year is!

2 comments:

Spencer and Kimberly said...

I don't know Zeke, but I think he is one CUTE boy!

Emma said...

Thanks! I think he is too :)