Friday, August 20, 2010

I Was Able to Walk Out

In continuation from my entry yesterday - my fear of needing a wheelchair and a driver, I am happy to say that I was able to walk out of the building today!  I worked out my lower body today and I was still able to walk.  It felt great (the walking out part, not the lifting)!  I certainly felt the "burn" during the process and that feels good in a torturous kind of way.  I even tried some new things and left with more ideas for next time.  After the weights I managed to get 30 minutes on the eliptical and take the kids shopping after the while thing was over.  It's a good thing my legs are still working because my arms are still boycotting.  I still have to type with my toes.  The shaking has stopped from yesterday, but now the soreness has set in.  I forgot how many muscles I have, or didn't have, in my arms.  I almost had to have Olivia and Zeke push the cart in the store today.  Those things are heavy!  I did make them carry the 3 gallons of milk to the car, after all I had to try to carry my purse and the keys, two other heavy things.  Just kidding, I carried the keys, my purse and the 3 gallons of milk (I'm sure it was because of my bulging muscles I had built from yesterday's workout).  Olivia carried the receipt.  Seriously though, it does feel good.  I am doing something I have not done in years and I am facing some of my insecurities along the way, like working out next to the bikini model in her sports bra and shorty-shorts or the big muscley serious men who can't seem to stop looking in the mirror at themselves in between sets.  It was a relief to exercise part of the time with the senior citizen exercise class.  I can WAY out do them!  They were actually kind of fun to watch.  It lightened my spirit as I did another set of leg extensions.  I even am proud of my stench as I finish my workout.  I don't know if any of you have watched Mulan or not, but you know when she is getting ready to go bathe and Mushoo (sp?) says something about liking the frito smell?  That is exactly the smell I am proud of!  I know it sounds maybe a little off and slightly gross, but it's true.  I also like the soreness.  It makes me feel like I have done something, and I can use it as an excuse when I don't want to do something.  "Michael, can you wipe Olivia's bum?  I'm too sore!"  It's good all the way around.  Now I get two days for my muscles to recover and then we'll see what a full week of this stuff does to me!  I'll keep you posted.  Until next time...

No comments: