Friday, August 27, 2010

First Full Week

Well, I officially finished my first full week of workouts.  It was interesting to say the least.  Most of my soreness had worn off by Monday so I started the week pretty fresh.  Monday was upper body.  I made a few adjustments, no problem.  I was certainly tired by the end of the workout and it felt good.  Tuesday I was sore in the upper body but that didn't affect my lower body workout.  I added lunges to my workout this time.  My legs were pretty shakey by the end, but I was still able to walk.  During the night, I remembered waking up and trying to roll over and wondering where that intense pain and lack of strength was coming from in my legs.  Then I remembered the lunges.  It was easier to roll over 9 months pregnant than it was at that point in time.  Wednesday brought on the upper body again.  Now along with the upper body I also do cardio.  Each day I start out doing 20 minutes on the treadmill to warm up.  On upper body days, I end my workout with a 30 minutes stint on the treadmill doing a mix of walking and running.  Well, my legs hurt so bad I had a hard time stepping on and off the treadmill, let alone, walking while I was on it!  I did manage to get through my workout.  My arms were sore, my run shorter and my walk a little slower, but I made it and felt proud.  Then we headed to the park for a picnic followed by a trip to the zoo.  I think my chlidren could tell I was in pain.  They kept dropping things on the ground.  I had to mentally psyche myself up to bend over and pick things up for them.  My body was just not wanting to move!  Everything hurt.  I thought I was going to die.  Then they want me to push them on the swings!  Are you kidding?  No, they weren't.  I pushed them, but had a hard time doing the whole underdog thing.  It was a long, slow moving day for me.  Thursday brought about lower body again.  I was concerned.  I still couldn't move, but I had to try.  I made it through my workout and was able to do the entire thing.  Then I walked very slowly around the track for 20 minutes and then went swimming, to the park and ran errands.  I was prepared for the worst.  Surprisingly though, the pain started to subside.  I could still walk by the end of the day!  When I rolled over in bed it was more like 4 months pregnant.  I felt great!  This morning I headed out feeling much better.  I could even climb into my car without wincing and having to fall into my seat.  I did my warmup, my upper body strength training and then the treadmill.  I ran the farthest today than I had all week.  Now I am home and feeling great because I survived!  I did all my workouts, went to the park three times, the zoo once, swimming 3 times and did errands when needed.  I even cleaned the house and did laundry (which is donwstairs in the basement, a verty hard task when legs don't work!).  I have also stuck to my eating plans.  My new favorite is something that I never thought I would ever eat, much less like - peanunt butter and banana on bread!  I like peanut butter and bananas, but I had always refused to try them on bread.  Yuck!  Well, I discovered a new bread.  It's sandwich thins.  They are 100 calories and have 4 grams of fiber.  They are whole grain, and really yummy!  I use them for all my sandwiches now.  I have found, as I focus more on protiens and carbs and trying to get the righ balance, that I do feel better.  I eat less, I crave less and I am not as tired.  Hopefully this will continue to be the case.  I want to be able to enjoy life and all that it has to offer.  I haven't been able to do that lately because of how run down I was feeling.  Anyways, I have survived and it has given me motivation to carry on and energy to enjoy the things around me!

No comments: