Friday, July 30, 2010

Hope and Peace

Yesterday I was able to go to yet another doctor.  My appointment wasn't supposed to be until October 11th but they had an opening come up so I got to go early.  I must say, I was very nervous to go again and tell my story again.  At the past doctors I left feeling that they thought very little of me and my problems.  Their answers to my fristrations were things like, "well, remember, yo do have six children.  Fatigue may just be a part of your life." or "you just need to exercise more and eat less." or "sometimes we over estimate our abilities to do things.  Remember you are older than you used to be."  Duh!  Anyways, they'd do some tests, find no immediate answers and dismiss me.  It was quite disheartening and extremely frustrating.  Especially since I still had to go home and try to function.  Well, at my last visit, there was one blood test that came back abnormal.  The doctor told me it was nothing to worry about.  However, it was all I had to grasp on to so I decided to have them refer me to an endocrinologist.  I am so glad I did.  For the first time, I felt like I was listened to and that he believed me!  The test that came back abnormal was actually the wrong test all together.  They had given me the test for IGF 1 Binding Protein.  That's a test only for children.  I needed the IGF 1 test - no binding protein.  He also wanted to look at my pituitary gland.  He said that could be causing the fatigue, the weight issues and the other irregularities.  He also wants to look at my thyroid again but from a different angle.  He said sometimes we get symptoms of thyroid problems before it shows up in the blood work.  He said there is a test that will show him if there are problems beginning there.  Anyways, he ordered  5 more blood tests and a urinary test (fun).  He said they would keep searching until they found something.  Even though I left the office with no real anwers, I left feeling really good.  I left actually feeling like a real person not an idiot with made up stories and symptoms.  I do hope, with all that is in me, that there are answers found.  That will require waiting for the results.  I have at least a week before all the results get back.  In the meantime, I will keep doing what I can and working through it when I can't seem to keep up.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

2 comments:

Katie said...

what a blessing that you finally got a dr. to listen to you. I love all the "comments" from other dr.'s. DUH! I know what it means to be tired from kids but this is something totally different.
Good luck and keep fighting!

Spencer and Kimberly said...

Good luck! I hope you get some answers!