Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blind and Deaf

Michael's brother and his wife have this little dog that is getting pretty old.  When we were in Idaho, they came for a day or so and brought the little dog with them.  She is almost completely blind and deaf.  I watched her wander around the house looking for I don't know what and never seeming to find it.  She was surrounded by people who could help her find food and a comfortable place to lay down.  She had many laps that would hold her and many hands that would pet her, yet she was oblivious to it all.  She just wandered and wandered.  On the drive home, in the quiet of the night, I began to think about this dog and how sad and almost pathetic it was to wach her wander.  Then I started thinking about my own life.  How many times in my life have I been like this dog?  Blind and deaf to the things and people that could help me find peace, happiness and a place to rest?  Our Heavenly Father has given us so many things to help us through this life, but all to often I wander around as if I am the only person alive.  We have family and friends, church leaders and teachers, scriptures, and so many other things to help us along our journey.  How often do we pass by these things and turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to the hands held out and the hearts ready to take us in and love us?  Most importantly, we have the Savior and our Heavenly Father who are always there and waiting for us to turn to them.  How many times do the scriptures say "my hand is stretched out still"?  How many times do we turn away?  I hope that in the future I can remember this little dog so that I will keep my eyes open and my ears in tune so that I don't wander aimlessly through life looking for things that surround me and never finding them.