Thursday, April 22, 2010

I Love You, Mother

A dear friend of mine just had to go through the one year mark of her mother passing away.   I did not know her mother very well, but I have many good memories with this friend.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to be a young mother, raising a family, without my mother to share it with.   As I thought about her this week, I wrote this:

Though you are gone from this home we call earth,
I feel your presence with each breath that I take.
I feel you surround me with beauty and love,
I feel you guide me with each choice that I make.
I long for your touch and to hear your voice,
Overwhelmed with memories of time gone past.
I gather up my baby and hold her tight in my arms,
Rocking her gently as the tears come at last.
And then all around me I feel warmth and love
I know you are with me, nothing will keep us apart.
Your strength fills my soul and I know all will be right
Hand in hand with my baby we will walk heart to heart.
"I love you, mommy", my little girl says with a smile.
I hug her and squeeze her with an "I love you too."
Then I look up to heaven and picture you there, whispering
"I love you, mother." Then whispering back comes an "I love you too."

Once again, I am so thankful for the opportunity we have to be together forever.  These family ties that we have here on earth will be able to go with us in the eternities.  Our Savior made that possible.  I do believe, with all my heart, that our loved ones that have passed on are watching us and cheering for us.  They want us to come home to them.  They want us to live our lives righteously so that we can be together forever in happiness.   I know that knowledge will not take all the pain away, but I know that it will provide hope in the difficult times.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

The poem is beautiful. Good job.