Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Charity

"[The Relief Society] is composed of women whose feelings of charity spring from hearts changed by qualifying for and by keeping covenants offered only in the Lord's true Church. Their feelings of charity come from Him through His Atonement. Their acts of charity are guided by His example—and come out of gratitude for His infinite gift of mercy—and by the Holy Spirit, which He sends to accompany His servants on their missions of mercy. Because of that, they have done and are able to do uncommon things for others and to find joy even when their own unmet needs are great."


Henry B. Eyring
 
I got this quote in my email today.  For those who don't know, the Relief Society is the women's organization in our church.  Every woman over 18 belongs to it.  It is set up to help each other and those around us.  Every woman in the church has women assigned to them to help them and look after them and serve them.  It is also set up to carry out service in the community in times of need.  It is a wonderful organization.  It also teaches women, not only about Christ, but about homemaking, mothering, life skills and preparedness.  Our theme church wide (throughout the entire world) is "Charity Never Faileth."  Charity, of course, is the pure love of Christ.
 
As a member of this organization, I am supposed to not only be learning charity, but acting in charity.  Sometimes I feel I fall short.  Yes, I do service for those around me, but do I do it with charity?  Not always.  Does the service still get done?  Yes.  Do I receive the same blessings?  No.  Serving with charity should bring joy like the quote said.  That joy is one of the greatest personal blessings of service.  If I don't have charity, I am not acting after the example of the Savior.  Everything He did was and is through charity, pure love.  If I am not acting after the example of the Savior, then the spirit is probably not with me like it needs to be.  Therefore, my heart is really not being changed and I need a changed heart in order to be like the Savior.
 
My question is, how do I always have charity?  Sometimes I just don't like the task at hand no matter how hard I try!  Well, I had a thought as I read this quote.  It didn't say we have to love what we are doing, we just have to love the Savior.  If I do what I do because I know it is His will and because I love Him, then I will have His spirit and the joy and charity will follow.  Right?  For example, I hate pulling weeds.  Hate it!  We had a service project once to go and pull weeds and plant flowers around one of our church buildings.  I went, despite my dislike of the activity.  I pulled weeds because I loved the Savior and because I wanted to serve like He has asked us to do.  Did I love it?  No.  Did I feel joy?  Yes.  Because I had gone with the attitude of love for my Savior.
 
My point to all this rambling?  Sometimes we are asked or needed to do things that we don't find pleasant or enjoyable.  If we go with the attitude of hating it, we will not find joy through the service.  If we go with the attitude of love for the Savior, His love and His spirit will fill our souls and our joy will be great and as the quote says, we will "have done and [will be] able to do uncommon things for others and to find joy even when [our] own unmet needs are great."

1 comment:

Katie said...

You know that you have been an answer to my prayers more than once right? That was just what I needed today,thanks for listening to the promptings you get!
Love.Katie