Friday, February 26, 2010

Look a Little Deeper

This may be totally inappropriate to write about but I'm going to anyways because it frustrates me.  No, I am not talking about myself either (on either end of the spectrum).  Have you ever sat and watched people?  I love to watch people and see what makes them work. It is so interesting, but there is something that has been bothering me for quite awhile so I'm going to write about it.  There is always someone who is in the spotlight.  Someone that eveyone claims they want to be like.  Someone who everyone thinks is beautiful and talented and completely amazing.  They have the hair and the clothes and the body. Then there are others.  Others that ARE competely amazing and ones that everyone SHOULD want to be like and they go completely unnoticed.  The one in the spotlight loves it there and even when it's not about them - it usually ends up being about them.  They do kind things for others but a lot of times it is so they can once again be told how wonderful they are.  They pick and choose who to do things for dependant upon the recognition they will receive.  Then I watch as they are praised and held up as an example for us all.  But over on the sidelines are the real beautiful people who try to do what is right because that is what is asked of them.  They quietly serve because they love others.  They are kind and thoughtful and good.  Yet they are passed by in the group.  To me, they are the beautiful ones. They may not be the super model like the one in the spotlight, but they are so completely amazing.  They are the ones that we should all want to be like.  I think you all know what I am talking about.  It happens everywhere, not just in lovely South Dakota.  I always wonder how these on the sidelines keep going. Not that they want the recogition or praise, but to see it all go to someone who is not "all that and a bag of chips"...I don't know. I guess it is part of why they are so good.  They don't need the spotlight.  But in my own little mind and way of seeing life, I think they need it.  I know some of these people.  I am friends with some of these people and some of them read this blog.  So to you (and deep down past your modesty I think you know who you are, even though you will never admit it) I want to thank you.  Thank you for your friendship.  Thank you for your examples.  Thank you for quietly serving and living the way you do so that people like me can sit and watch and learn.  You are amazing.  And whether you look like a super model with the hair and the clothes and the body or like a tired mother who has spent the day taking care of her family - YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!  That means you!  I love you and I am so blessed to be able to "watch" you.  And while most people are oogling over the person in the spotlight, I am watching you on the sidelines and hoping someday to be like you.

No comments: