Friday, February 19, 2010

Granny

Last night Olivia woke me up around 1:30 am.  After that I couldn't get back to sleep.  My mind started racing and thoughts were swirling around so around 2:30 I got up.  I wrote this about my granny.  She has dementia.  It came on slowly.  At first it was little things she would forget.  Then she started forgetting people and other things.  First she forgot her grandchildren and then her children.  I'mnot sure she ever forgot who grandoa was but she never remebered him coming to see her.  As soon as he walked out of the nursing home, she had forgotten he had been there.  Despite her lack of memory she was always friendly and very accepting.  She didn't care who you were, as lond as you were nice, she liked you.  It has been several years since I have gotten to see her but she is always on my mind.  This is what I wrote last night.  It shows the progression of her illness by the greetings that she gives.  These are things she has actually said to me and has been a sign to me of where she was with her health.


"Hey, I know you! How are you, child?" She'd say with a smile and a wink.
Then only like a grandma can she'd hug me tight and kiss my cheek.
Those words were music to my ears. They filled my heart with gladness.
But years passed by and took their toll, her memory clouded by illness.
"I don't know who all y'all are, but I know that you belong!" She'd say with a smile and a wink.
Then only like a grandma can, she'd hug me tight and kiss my cheek.
Those words would bring a smile to my face, but filled my heart with sadness.
More years passed by and her memory continued to fade like a sunset to darkness.
"Now who are you? I think you're neat," she's say with a smile and a wink.
Then only like my grandma can, she'd hug me tight and kiss my cheek.
And I'd smile back and kiss her too with sadness still filling my heart,
But looking forward to the time when illness no longer can keep us apart.

No comments: