Thursday, January 21, 2010

There's always time

Sometimes life gets going and we get all caught up in the moment and then realize all that we missed along the way.  We get so busy that we don't think there is enough time to do all that we want or need to do.  Yes, sometimes we have to cut out some things to stay sane or to be able to get all the big important things done, but there is always time for the little things.  And sometimes the little things end up being more important than the big things. We may not be able to do it the way we wanted to do it but we can still do it.  My life has been touched in so many ways by people taking the time to do the little things.  Just recently my sister put a nice post on my faebook page.  It ended up being something I needed on a bad day.  My mother-in-law sent me an e-mail with a wonderful message that gave me strength to get through things I was struggling with.  Michael's grandma made a phone call just to make sure we were okay because she hadn't heard from me in a few days.  It doesn't take long.  Our emails may not be as in depth as we wanted them to be or our phone conversations as long, but the message is still loud and clear.  We can let some one know that we are thinking of them and care about them and it won't take away fom our busy schedule or ruin plan of events.  I my not have enough time to sit on the couch and watch a whole movie with my kids but I can sit and snuggle with them for a few minutes.  I can hold them and tell them I love them.  I may not be able to go over to a friends house and visit but I can call them and see how they are.  I may not be able to make a 5 course meal or my neighbor but I can take them a Papa Murphys pizza and a batch of cookies.  The list goes on and on.  We never know when we are going to be the answer to someone's prayer.  If we don't take time to do the small thing, the things that seem unimportant or maybe even silly, we may be missing out on some great opportunities.  Not only could we be helping others, but we could also be helping ourselves and enriching our own lives.  It doesn't take long.  Friendships can be strengthened, new ones can be made, families can become more united.  As I said before, my life has been touched many times from both giving these simple acts and receiving them.  I have discovered that there is always time for something, even when we think we are busy.  It's easy to get caught up in life and let it slip away.  I know I do it.  I start a week with grat intentions and before I know it, the week is over and the oporunities for that week are gone.  I am trying to do better though and I am trying to find time for those little things, they really do end up being more important than the big things.  The things I remember in life come from those little moments.  My grandparents lived in Nashville and we rarely did:)  Each year they would make a trip to come see us.  The things I remember most about them is just sitting on the couch next to them, play rhythm-maree, having them cheer as we did our Dukes of Hazard impressions in and out of the car windows (something we perfected as we delivered papers.  We would dive in, do a roll across the back seat, grab the next stack of papers from my dad and jump out the other window.) and having them come to the pool and watch us do tricks.  Little things.  My kids are the same way.  They remember walks with grandmas, phone calls on specials days and little surprises in the mail.  Little things.  Little things that change us and help us grow.  I sure hope as my kids get older and my life gets busier that I can remember these little things and make sure I do some everyday.  There's always time...

No comments: