Sunday, January 3, 2010

Strength

 I don't know if you're like me or not but when something hard comes along I feel like I have to be strong and not let others know that I am suffering.  I don't want them to see me cry.  I guess I don't want them to see my weaknesses.  I feel like I need to be the one taking care of everyone else when inside I want to curl up in a ball and sob.  Over the past year I have had friends of mine who have had huge trials.  One lost a daughter, one lost a husband, one is going through her second round of stage 2 breast cancer.  She is a mother of 4 and only my age.  I marvel at their strength, yet I am aware that they too, handle trials like I do, trying to be strong for everyone else.  I have learned that at some point we have to let go.  We have to feel just like everyone else does.  We have to let go of our perceived strength and be cared for by others.  It is part of the healing process.  One thing I am thankful for as I contemplate all of this, is my knowledge of the Savior.  Yes, He came and suffered for our sins, taking upon Himself the sins of all the world.  But He did more than that.  He felt our sorrows, our pain and disappointments, our depressions and sadness.  He is the only One who knows exactly how we feel because He has felt it all.  Along with His sufferings for our sins, he also felt our emotions.  This knowledge has helped me to turn to Him in these times.  If I can't let go of my pain in front of others because I need to be strong for them, I can let go of it in front of Him because He has already been strong for me. 

A conversation I had with friends this last week brought all of this to the forefront of my mind and I finally had to sit down and write about it.  It may not be one of my greatest pieces of poetry but it is certainly filled with gratitude for my Savior and relief at the opportunity I have to always turn to Him for love, comfort and strength.  I hope as you read it that you can feel what I am trying to say and know that Jesus Christ is always there with strength beyond compare to lift us up and carry us on our way.

With tears in her eyes, my little girl came to me today, hurt by friends who had been untrue.

So I held her close and whispered in her ear, "It's okay, go ahead and cry. I'll be strong for you."

A friend so dear and kind to all came to me today, weak from the illness, unsure of what to do.
So I held her close and whispered in her ear, "It's okay, go ahead and cry. I'll be strong for you."

A brother with a sweet little family came to me today, laid off from his job and scared by the news.
So I held him close and whispered in his ear, "It's okay, go ahead and cry. I'll be strong for you."

At home all alone in the quiet of my room I suffered in silence at the loss in my life, needing strength in order to continue.
Then out of the silence I felt warm, loving arms and heard a gentle whisper in my ear,
"It's okay, go ahead and cry. You don't need to always be strong. Let go of your pain here in my arms. I'll now be strong for you."

"I suffered in the Garden and again on the cross. I've felt all this for you.
So let me hold you close to me," He whispered in my ear, "It's okay, go ahead and cry. I'll be strong for you."

2 comments:

Spencer and Kimberly said...

That was a beautiful post and poem and I was touched by it. Thanks for sharing because I think everyone can relate to and understand what you're talking about.

Joyce Anne said...

Emma...I think it might be one of your best. The thoughts are so pure and simple. Thanks.