Monday, January 25, 2010

One Year Ago...

One year ago yesterday we moved to Sioux Falls. One year ago tomorrow was the kids first day of school at Tri-Valley.  A lot has happened during that year, some fun, some not so fun.  One thing as stayed the same though.  We still miss Hendricks!  I moved a lot growing up and I guess I taught myself not to get attached.  I made friends and went through all the motions but I knew we would leave so I never let things get permanent.  To me moving was a lot like rearranging the furniture.  It was a fresh start and something to do to pass the time.  When we were in a place too long I started feeling antsy and ready to move on.  This was even the case after I got married and when the girls were small.  I made good friends along the way.  Most of them I lost contact with after a little while.  In fact, only one from my childhood is still a part of my life.  After all, I have moved to 27 different towns and 38 or more houses (not counting my mission in Ireland).   I am only 34.  Anyways, Hendricks was a different story.  I could actually see my children growing up there.  I think they could see it too. Despite the problems that went on there, Hendricks had become my home.  I had found friends that would last a life time.  My children had found the same.  Were there things there we didn't like?  Yes.  Did Hendricks have it's own problems?  Yes, every town does.  But the good out weighed the bad (except for the job situation).  Does Sioux Falls have good?  Yes.  Are there things here that we enjoy that we didn't have access to in Hendricks?  Yes.  But despite all that Sioux Falls has to offer, Hendricks is where our hearts still are.  For the first time in my life, I didn't feel the need to rearrange the furniture (only the job).  I had found a home.  I know this probably all sounds silly.  Get over it, I know.  It's been a year and it's time to move on.  Easier said than done.  I know this is where we belong right now  Why, I'm not sure.  So I will keep doing what I need to do to make this a good experience  but my heart will always be in Hendricks with all those wonderful people that I have the privilege of calling my friends. 

I wrote this for a very dear friend and I feel it applicable to this post.  It may be corny, but it does come from my heart:)

If home is where the heart is as the saying goes
Then my home is right next to you where ever you may go
For through the years with each passing day
Our friendship has blossomed like flowers in May
Each phone call, each hug, each wave on the street
Has filled my heart with a friendship so deep.
You won my heart through your acts of love
Many times you were an answer sent from above.
And though we are now separated by many lonely miles
My heart is still lifted, your friendship brings a smile
So if home is where the heart is then truly mine will be
Next to yours forever, friends for eternity.

I will alway consider my time in Hendricks a very special gift from my Father in Heaven.  Not everyone has a chance to live in such a place with so many wonderful people.  It gave me something I had never had before and changed me in many ways.  I will forever be grateful for all that Hendricks gave to me and my family.

3 comments:

Katie said...

you always have such a way of capturing exactly how I feel. thank you. love you.

Spencer and Kimberly said...

What a nice post! I hope you guys can make it back to Hendricks some day!

Melissa said...

That made me cry! I've been feeling down lately, I really miss Clarksville. That poem said everything I would love to say to my best friend out there. She just had a baby and it broke my heart not being able to be there! Thanks Emma :)