Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What Would Happen If...



Look at that sweet, innocent face.  How could somethig as precious as that cause flooding in three rooms of the house with just one quick flush of the toilet?  Well, it all starts with an apple...

We have a rule in our house that if you get out an apple and start eating it, you have to eat the whole thing.  We started that rule because the kids woud get out an apple and take a few bites and then want to throw it away.  They didn't want apple slices, they wanted to eat it like a big kid.  Then I would end up with 6 almost whole apples in the garbage.  I just couldn't afford that habit so we came up with the rule.  Yesterday, Zeke got out an apple along with some of the other kids.  They all ate theirs and went downstairs to play.  Zeke didn't finish his as quickly so he decided he didn't want it any more.  I told him he had to eat it.  As he takes a bite he starts dancing around like he as to go potty.  I told him to put his apple on the table, go potty and then come back and finish his apple.  I started doing the dishes, he goes potty,then he comes back out and tells me he finished his apple. I asked him to show it to me.  He says he ate it all.  I tell him I want to see it. He tells me he ate it all.  I ask him where it is.  He says he doesn't know.  I ask him where he put it.  He turns and walks down the hall to his bedroom.  I follow and ask where the apple is.  He says it's not in his bedroom.  I again ask where it is. He again says he doesn't know.   I tell him if he doesn't tell me where he put his apple I would have to spank his bum for lying to me.  He won't answer me now.  I swat his bum and ask where he put his apple.  No answer.  I swat and ask again.  No answer.  Again.  No answer.  We do this several more times.  Still no answer.  He's crying, I'm on the verge of crying because he's my little buddy, but still no answer.  I try to get him to look at me.  He looks above and to either side but won't make eye contact.  I sit him on my lap.  He still won't talk or look at me.  Finally I start asking more direct questions.  Did you throw it in Olivia's room?  No (at least I got an answer.  This gave me hope that it would all end soon)  Did you throw it in your room? No.  Did you throw it in my room?  No.  Did you put it in the garbage in the bathroom?  No. Did you flush it down the potty?  Yes.  Oh my heck! I sent him to bed and went to the bathroom.  No apple in the potty.  Tried to call Michael.  No answer  Waited a few minutes and tried to call again.  No answer. I didn't know whether to plunge or try to stick my hand in and see if I could feel it anywhere.  A friend stopped by to pick up his kids.  I told him what happened.  He checked it out  Plunged a little.  Everything flushed fine.  WHEW!!  Right?  No...

Fast forward to this afternoon. Michael comes home, goes into the bathroom, comes back out and tells me that our bathroom is flooded.  Goes into the other bathroom.  It is flooded too.  Goes down stairs to the laundry room.  It's flooded to from the floor upstairs.  Turn off the water, find every towel in the house that we own.  Start soaking up water.  Michael goes to get the snake while I continue to clean up water.  Some one goes into the other bathroom, uses it and flushes!  Come running out to let them all know that no one is allowed to use the bathroom or flush the toilet  First snake doesn't work.  Second snake kind of works.  Flush one potty and it overflows in the othr potty.  Finally get the clog aka "apple"  further down the pipes.  Go to the laundry room. Take cap off another pipe. Get a third snake (a much longer one) and snake up the pipe to the T near the ceiling.  Finally get it all cleared out.  Finish cleaning up the stinky wet towels, start laudry, wash hands and arms REALLY good and welcome our friends that are coming through the front door.  Thank goodness because we had 13 kids running around the house all afternoon!  That would've been ugly with no bathrooms!

Oh the joys of parenting and the sweet innocence of children!

2 comments:

Spencer and Kimberly said...

What a mess!!

Melissa said...

Oh man! Seriously, reading the whole story like that, yikes! So glad you got it all fixed, and cleaned up!