Thursday, October 8, 2009

Always Get Back Up


Today and this last week, I have spent a lot of time thinking about life and what I have done with it.  Maybe because I am celebrating another year of life.  I look back on my life and I feel alot of gladness and satisfaction.  I have a beautiful family, an amazing husband, and good friends.  We have a house to live in, a job, food to eat and clothes to wear.  We have always been blessed with what we need, sometimes in miraculous ways.  I also look back with some regret and sadness.  We all have short comings, mine sometimes overwhelm me.  There have been goals that I have set for myself where I have fallen very short.  It's frustrating.  Yet through it all I have learned to always get back up and keep going.  I guess it is something I have been taught all my life.

My dad got polio when he was just over a year.  He had just barely started walking.  When he layed down for a nap he was fine.  When he woke up, he was sick.  This happened just about a year before they came out with the polio vaccination.  Anyways, he was paralyzed from the waist down.  His life has been full of falls. Sometimes he was the cause of the falls - doing tricks down the stairs on his crutches or reaching too far to try to catch the ball.  Sometimes the falls were the result of others - being pushed down the stairs or tripped as he walked by.  Sometimes he fell with no one at fault - a drop of water on the floor that his crutch slipped on or ice in the parking lot.  Sometimes the falls didn't hurt, sometimes the falls caused tremendous pain that lasted for weeks and years and caused permanent damage.  No matter what though, he always got back up.  I watched this silent example growing up and I still watch it today.  Sometimes I wonder how many more times he will be able to get up as his body grows weaker and his pain greater, yet somehow he finds the strength to get up one more time.  Is my dad perfect?  No, he has his shortcomings too.  But in this one thing his example has been perfect, for everytime he falls, he always gets up.

I try to take this example into my own life.  Yes, my falls are different than his, but they still require me to pick myself back up and continue on.  His example has given me that strength and though I often fall short of my expectations, I know I can still get up and try again.  So as I celebrate survival of another year, I guess I am also celebrating the opportunity I have to always get back up.  No matter how great or small the fall or how painful the results, I can get back up.

1 comment:

AMYC said...

Emma,
Happy Birthday! I wasn't sure what made me click on this old e-mail from you with your blog on it until I read you entry for today. I have a very tough class this year with learning problems and behavior problems. I seem to keep "Falling " down with them. Thanks for the inspiration to just always get back up! I really needed it! Thank you for the blessing.


Your Tennessee Cousin
Amy!!!