Monday, April 6, 2009

We Can Be Together Forever

I just found out that over the weekend, a friend of mine lost one of her daughters. She was serving a mission for her church in South Africa and was killed in a car accident. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child. So what I am writing comes with no actual experience but with a sure knowledge. My parents lost their oldest daughter when she was just over 2 years old. It was a long painful road for them, especially my mom. She cried everyday for a year as they searched for answers about life and death. After a year of searching my parents found the truth they were looking for. Two LDS missionaries taught them about life and death and that we have the opportunity to be together forever as families. That brought so much joy to my mother's heart. The day she was baptized, was the last day she shed tears for my sister because she knew that she would be able to see Katie again and that we would be together as a family forever. I am so grateful for that knowledge. I can't imagine losing a child, the pain would be unspeakable, but I also know that there is comfort in the knowledge that we can be together forever. Life doesn't end with death. Michael and I are not "until death do you part". Michael and I are together for all eternity. Our children are ours for all eternity. A loving God would not put us here on this earth to form bonds with loving families only to have it end with death. I love my children with all my heart. I am not perfect. I yell, I lose patience, I get upset over unimportant things, my focus isn't always where it needs to be, but I try. I know that as long as I am doing my best and trying to follow the example of the Savior that I will one day live with my Heavenly Father again and my husband and children will be there with me. Yes, I make mistakes, but there is repentance. We can be forgiven for all the mistakes we make and we can continue to try. God does not require perfection, He knows we will not reach perfection in this life. He requires all that we can give Him - our very best. When I hear news like I did this morning. It makes me stop and think. What do I need to change? What can I do better? I get new resolve to try even harder to be more loving, more patient, softer, more gentle, and more obedient to my Heavenly Father. My family is my greatest gift. I want them to know that and feel that everyday. And I am so grateful for them. I am so grateful for my Savior who gave His life for me and all of us. "Greater love hath no man than this..." This Easter season we will be celebrating the resurrection of the Savior. He lives. In the words of the hymn "I know that my Redeemer lives. What comfort this sweet sentence gives." My friend will be mourning the loss of her daughter. But I hope that through that process she can draw on her faith in Christ. That she will know she is not alone. Our Heavenly Father will not leave us in our times of need. He is there, we jsut need to turn to him. I hope she finds comfort and feels His love. Her daughter will live again. We will all live again because of the Savior and because of His atonement we can be together forever.

2 comments:

Spencer and Kimberly said...

How sad! What a nice testimony!

Monica said...

I definitely cannot imagine how hard it would be to loose a child. Thanks for your testimony. That's one thing I love about you; I have always drawn strength from your testimony!