Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Relatively Good Night

Last night was the best night we've had for a few nights. The kids went to sleep almost immediately after their heads hit the pillow. Michael and I headed to bed around 10pm. Of course, not long after laying down, Olivia started coughing and wheezing and gagging. She woke up shortly after that. I gave her some cough medicine while Michael pinned her down (it's a 2 person job with her). Then she wanted me to hold her. Michael went back to bed and I stayed up with her hoping that she would settle down quickly so I could go back to bed too. After standing there with her for a little while I decided to see if steam would help her. The doctor had told me if I could turn on hot water in the bathroom and let it run for awhile to get the bathroom warm and steamy that might would help the dry cough so I did that. After the room was steamy, I turned off the water and the lights and we went into the bathroom and sat in the dark in the warm, wet air. It seemed to work. After about 10 minutes, she had calmed down and gone back to sleep. I put her to bed and she slept until about 6:45 this morning. Thank goodness! I don't do well with no sleep. Some moms can go night after night with just a little sleep and look so good and still behave properly. Not me, one night and I can't seem to function on a human level! Hopefully we are on the up side now and she will continue to get better.

1 comment:

Monica said...

It is virtually impossible to be a good mom when you aren't getting any sleep!