Monday, November 17, 2008

Zeke

This weekend ended up with very unexpected happenings. We had planned on having a party for Makenna Friday night with her friends, waking up Saturday and opening presents. Then Makenna and I were going to go on a birthday date and then that night go to the Olsen Custom Farms Harvest party (the biggest party of the year). Well Friday morning Zeke woke up (he had not been feeling that great for a few days and had gotten diahrrea Thursday) with blood in his stool. I took him to the doctor. They drew blood and took x-rays, couldn't find anything and sent him home. He got worse it seemed through the afternoon. Michael ended up taking him in to the hospital that night while I did Makenna's party. They took more blood and sent him home. He threw up three times Friday and once more in the night. Saturday morning we let Kenna open her presents and I took Zeke to the doctor. The doctor had more blood taken and checked a few of Zeke's dirty diapers to make sure it was blood in his stool. It was. His blood count had gone up some too so he sent me on to the hospital in Brookings where there was a pediatrician to look at him. When we got to the emergency room, Zeke threw up again. They put an IV in him (it only took 4 tries!) which he hated. He kept saying "Don't poke me, don't poke me!". It was so sad. After they got his IV in they realized they had forgotten to take a blood sample so they had to poke his finger. He didn't like that either. Then we went up to a room. They got him all hooked up to everything and we settled in. They took stool samples and monitored him. We stayed the night Saturday. Sunday morning they came in and took more blood. He seemed better Sunday but was still up and down. They took a throat swab to make sure he didn't have strep. He ate a little on Sunday and came a live for a little bit but then crashed around 5:30. Michael came in around 6pm to stay with him and I went home with the other kids. This morning he is doing much better and is expected to come home this afternoon. I sure hope he does. They are taking him off his IV to see how he does on his own. All of his tests came back negative so they think the blood came from his digestive track being so sore and irritated. It seems to be getting better. Anyways, it was a crazy weekend. I ended up missing all of Makenna's birthday which I felt horrible about. We are going to do a make-up date this week. They all had fun at the party and even won some prizes. Everyone else is doing good. Dillon has some diahrrea, but is fine. I am still sick and will need to start taking my inhaler on a regular basis until I get better. This breathing is wearing me out. I got the primary program postponed for another week so that is good. Now I just have to get ready for Maddi's birthday this weekend. We were going to have her baptized on Sunday, but I think that will have to wait for another week on that too.

No comments: